Monday, October 3, 2011

Design "Wall" Monday

Today I have two things to share.  The first is my hexagon star:
























Yes, the hexagon project has grown to such proportions that it requires a design lawn.  It's also the only place I could get enough light.  I'm aware this has become something of an abomination, but I just couldn't stop sewing those little boogers together.  Planning, must remember planning!  I guess the next step is to add a solid fabric between the star points.  I have no idea how to measure for that or how to go about it or what color to use.  Any ideas, insights, suggestions would be appreciated.  Please be gentle.

Next up are the practice blocks for Heather Mulder Peterson's "Spaghetti Junction" from her book, Living Large 2.






Click here  to see how the finished quilt is supposed to look.  The patterns in the book are for large scale prints and it seems that I've accumulated quite a few that I'll be combining with a fat quarter bundle of Sandi Henderson's Secret Garden fabric in the Sunset Garden colorway.  I hope it works.  I'm using the rust colored chicken wire print where the pattern uses brown dot fabric. I plan to add a narrow inner border of that fabric as well.  The block on the right finished out pretty much perfectly at ten inches.  The one on the left is off in places almost a quarter inch.  Back to the machine with that one.  Accuracy is the absolute bane of my existence!

Check out what others are working on at Patchwork Times.  Have a great week with lots of quilting!

11 comments:

Maria said...

Love the hexagons. I've just finished my first one for a course I have just started. I wasn't looking forward to it - I "don't do" hands sewing. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it and love my finished sample. I can see how easy it would be to get carried away with them!!!

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

Ohhh, I really like your star - very ambitious! If it were me, I would lay out my "base" fabric and hand stitch the hexis on. I mean, you have already hand sewn this much, whats a little needle turn applique at this point??
Good Luck, I look forward to seeing the finish and seeing how you complete it.
Cheers,
Carolyn

Denise :) said...

Your hexi-star is simply awesome! And I love the fabrics you're using in the practice blocks - what yummy stuff! Hope you have a terrific week! :)

Kristen King said...

Wow do I love that hexagon quilt!!! Might have to try one of those myself...that is after I finish my other 3 hexagon quilts! :)

Cathy said...

Wonderful!

Sandra Kaye said...

Hey Jane-- I love the hexie star, I just love it. Have you seen Bonnie Hunters Hexie? It's on her blog. It is a big medallion with a star in the center. I think you should pick a color wave like yellow, and fill in with same value yellows. Scrappy but controlled. Come see me if you get a chance. Hugs --Sandie

Mary said...

I love your hexagon quilt. Looks like you've been really busy. Good luck on adding the background. I'm not sure how that would work either.

sue said...

The star is fabulous and makes me think of Kaffe Fassett. That's a good thing!

Kate said...

I love the use of large scale fabrics in the second project - what a great way to show them off! And the hexagons - amazing!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love those hexogons - that is going to be an impressive quilt!

Ivory Spring said...

Good morning, Jane - it's great to hear from you. I am glad you enjoyed my "trunk show". :)

I just swooned looking at your hexagon star! What a masterpiece.